What is Aspergillosis?
Aspergillus is a group of moulds found all over the world and is common in the home. Only a few of these moulds can cause illness in humans and animals. Most people are naturally immune and do not develop disease caused by Aspergillus. However, when disease does occur, it takes several forms.
The types of diseases caused by Aspergillus are varied, ranging from an allergy-type illness to life-threatening generalised infections. Diseases caused by Aspergillus are called aspergillosis. The severity of aspergillosis is determined by various factors, but one of the most important is the state of the immune system of the person.
Types of aspergillosis infection:
- IA – invasive aspergillosis
- CPA – chronic pulmonary aspergillosis
- FRS – fungal rhinosinusitis
- Ear, eye and nail infections caused by Aspergillus
Types of Aspergillus allergy:
- ABPA – allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis
- SAFS – severe asthma with fungal sensitivity
- Fungal sensitisation from a damp home